1. When people become unemployed， it is ________ which is often worse than lack of wages.
A） laziness B） poverty C） idleness D） inability
2. ________ his sister， Jack is quiet and does not easily make friends with others.
A） Dislike B） Unlike C） Alike D） Liking
3. ________ you are leaving tomorrow， we can eat dinner together tonight.
A） For B） Since C） Before D） While
4. Some people would like to do shopping on Sundays since they expect to pick up wonderful ________ in the market.
A） batteries B） bargains C） baskets D） barrels
5. In previous times， then fresh meat was in short ________， pigeons were kept by many households as a source of food.
A） store B） provision C） reserve D） supply
6. After the guests left， she spent half an hour ________ the sitting-room.
A） ordering B） arranging C） tidying up D） clearing away
7. I was ________ the point of telephoning him when his letter arrived.
A） to B） on C） at D） in
8. A lorry ________ Jane‘s cat and sped away.
A） ran over B） ran into C） ran through D） ran down
9. Those gifts of rare books that were given to us were deeply ________.
A） appreciated B） approved C） appealed D） applied
10. Niagara Falls is a great tourist ________， drawing millions of visitors every year.
A） attention B） attraction C） appointment D） arrangement